2.29.2008

Blasts From the Past

The last few days have been very unexpected...it's funny how when one thing happens, everything seems to follow suit. In every sense of the meaning. I've had some pretty powerful re-connections in the last few days, I'm still starry-eyed.



I haven't seen my grandmother (read, Papa's mom) since my grandfather's funeral in Nairobi nearly 5 years ago. She was in town this last week, unfortunately for another funeral, but I got to spend some time with her which was just unbelievable. At first it was a little awkward, just because so much has changed since I last saw her, but on the second day it was perfect. I went to Hounslow on Wednesday afternoon and had lunch at her sister's house. They have a cook from India living with them and it was soo incredible to have home-cooked food! (I can't wait till Sangeeta Bhua gets back!!) I decided that no matter how uncomfortable it might have been, I was going to spend the night there on Thursday. I mean, it's the least I could do, and I hope it meant a lot to her. It certainly did for me. She lit up when I asked her to make me sugar prontas (can't spell in Hindi) and I was just watching her, thinking, what a grandmotherly thing. So anyway, I slept there last night and then this morning, the cook walked me to the tube station and I went straight to work. Hounslow's really far, for the record. Like, we're talking zone 6.

I've also been wanting to get in touch with Lindsay basically since we graduated, and I finally got the courage to do so. I pinged her a message and gave her my email address, to which she sent me such a nice letter. After this much time, it's hard to remember why we fell out -- I can only remember good things. Well mostly :/

On Wednesday I met up with Jamie Corley and Jono Cohen, also from high school. We went to the LSE student pub and it was a lot of fun. I just wish someone would have taken my phone away from me!

I'm going to Berlin tomorrow which I'm really excited about. I was having second thoughts yesterday because I kind of would love a weekend alone here, but I think that was just part of buyer's remorse or something.

Work was okay today -- was kind of struggling but oh well. Had two articles this week which I'm really proud of. I'm working on another two for next week. I'll be the only intern in next week as it's the mid-term break for the rest of the program. (I went home, remember?) We had Nando's Chicken Friday which was everything I could have hoped for. I also went out with everyone for drinks at a pub near the Westminster Cathedral because the Tech & Gadgets Editor had his last day today. I'm glad I went, I got to talk to a bunch of different people. I'm also going to test drive cars with the Cars Editor...no big deal. Like, amazing ones.

I'm semi-jealous everyone's in STL for Nidhi's baby shower this weekend, but Dad will be here on Monday and I cannot wait for that!!

Also, could people start voting on my poll? Grrreat, thanks.

Ambika xx

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Ambi - hellooo from across the pond!!! (Mamu here BTW)

Great to hear all your news, and makes me miss the good old London restaurants - you need to go and have some yummy Thai food at the Blue Elephant on Fulham Road.

Also, e-mail me when you get a chance so I have your e-mail.

chelsea said...

"I'm also going to test drive cars with the Cars Editor...no big deal. Like, amazing ones."

I. Can. Only. Imagine.

also, there's a small chance we may live above Jimmy John's in Clementi's old place. It's for 4 people, and one girl comes with the place (she coo) so we'd just need to find a fourth. It's still very rough, but just an update!

beaks said...

but the question is, are they nocturnal procrastinators who throw dance parties, enjoy chips, cheese, and wine parties, sometimes pretend they're in italia, and won't be perky in the mornings? in other words, are these people legit?

no me gusta randos. that's i don't like randos in spanish.